Saturday, February 18, 2017

Who is this God?


You know, oftentimes I have preconceived ideas about people I meet. I judge them from face value and determine things that in all likelihood aren’t true. It takes effort and time to get to know people. Kind of like a onion, we peel back the onions layer by layer until we see that deep down we all struggle with the same stuff and carry much the same baggage.

I think we do the same thing with God. What are your preconceived ideas about Him? 

Is God unapproachable and distant? Does He care about me? Do I need to go through a bunch of rituals and follow a slew of rules to gain His love? 

I recently read a powerful verse in the tiny book of Zephaniah that hopefully causes us to rethink any ideas we have about God.

The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing. 
Zephaniah 3:17

A picture comes into my mind of a parent holding a child. Quieting it’s cries, singing a lullaby and just holding it close. It’s a intimate scene. 

When anxieties and fears harass me, when I’m at a low ebb, when I feel rejected and unloved, I can crawl into His arms and allow Him to hold me close. I can let go and know peace, security and a strong love. He holds me tight through it all. He quiets me with His love. 

Be still and know that I am God. I’ve got you and will not let go. I am enough for you. 

He is always there. That’s never the question. The question is...”Will I go after Him? Will I let Him love me? Will I let Him close? 

Sadly, sometimes I will muddle along until I finally go to Him. 

But what especially blows my mind is this idea that He rejoices over me. OVER. ME. How can this be? 

I’m so quick to scrutinize myself, to pore over shortcomings and weaknesses. And here He looks at me in this way? No words people. How do you explain this? It’s a wonder to be loved like this. 

You can push Him away, curse His name, and even shake your fist at Him. Hey, He went through much worse on the cross. He still loves you with a relentless love. He’s still as close as your breath. and will come running when you finally give up and allow Him to love you. 

When you do, I guarantee you, sure enough as my name is Deb that you’ll finally find your soul mate. Cause He is the only One who is. 


You have said, “Seek my face.” My heart says to You, Your face Lord, do I seek. Psalm 27:8

No comments:

Post a Comment