Monday, July 13, 2015

It's all about the approach. Pt 1



Two men. Each with a desperate need. Each reaching out to God, but each with a different approach. 

Naaman of 2nd Kings 5 was a military commander, proud, wealthy, accomplished, high up on the social ring. Yet he was a leper. 

That could be a serious problem when your life is all about keeping up appearances. 

He approached God with preconceived ideas on how the healing would happen. The Syrian celebrity shows up at Elisha’s house with his entourage, hoping to impress. 

His pride was wounded when Elisha sent out his servant with God’s instructions to wash in the Jordan river seven times. He argued and fussed,  "I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, wave his hand over the spot and cure me of my leprosy. Are not Abana and Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than any of the waters of Israel? Couldn't I wash in them and be cleansed?" He finally rode off in a rage. 

Don’t we do this sometimes? We have our own ideas on how God is going to answer. Surely He’ll do it this way?  You can make a list of all the ways you believe He will answer, but you might as well tear that list up and throw it away. Because He won’t answer in any of those ways. 

He’ll blow up that list and do it in a way beyond what you can ask or imagine. Just to show He is God! He has more in mind than just answering your prayer. Something more deeper.

One of Naaman’s groupies finally talked sense into him and Naaman went down to the river, washed and he was completely healed. 

Naaman was all about getting his prayer answered. Nothing less, nothing more. Just heal me and let me be. But God was all about, “I’m going to rock your world!” Yes, his prayer was answered, but he was humbled. His life was transformed. He left the Jordan completely different. 

You know, there have been times in my life when I was desperate for a prayer to be answered. It was all about getting the prayer answered. I was there a year ago January. I was informed that I was being transferred out of the office and in fact would be cleaning the offices. 

I was really angry, my pride was wounded and I prayed desperately for God to intervene. Please Lord, change their hearts, let me stay in my position, change my situation. It became the center of my life. It was all I thought about. 

I kept praying and seeking His face. In time, I began to change. My anger lessened, I surrendered to His will, and I even forgave. I don’t like my job so much, I wouldn’t say I’m completely happy. But I am content. Does that make any sense? I don’t know how to explain it better to you. 

In the past year, I have changed for the better. I have a new passion for Jesus. I’ve mined deeper in the Word. In fact I’ve had new doors of ministry open to me. Blogging is one of those doors. I’ve had opportunities to preach. It’s been more than I expected for sure. 

Bottom line....He has my heart like He didn’t have it before. I needed to change, to surrender. That is ultimately what He wants. He loves us way too much to answer our pleas and leave us the way we are. 

Beloved sister are you questioning Him? Are you fighting against His hands? Do you trust Him to know what is best? Tough questions I know. 

Know this....you are cherished and loved so much by your Heavenly Father. In the end whatever the outcome, you will see His faithfulness in your life. You will end up a beautiful vessel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment