Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rambling Thursdays




The Frozen Diet

Need to lose some weight? I recently read about a new way to lose those extra unwanted pounds. It sounds much easier than Zumba, starving, lifting dumbbells, and anything else that would require strenuous activity. 

Just freeze the weight off. Yes, you heard correctly. Scientist Ray Cronise deducted that regularly exposing yourself to cold temperatures burns calories quickly. He conducted an experiment on himself, doing a regimen of cold showers, shirtless walks in winter, sleeping without blankets or sheets, and keeping the indoor temperature in the 50 degree range. 

He lost 26 pounds in six weeks. Wow, and to think all this time all I had to do was go outside in the winter in a bathing suit, (I do have close neighbors, shirtless would not do), and sleep without a blanket! 

I’ve lost about 30 pounds in the last year or so, but I also changed jobs and am on my feet now. I eat more veggies and fruit. I’ve always been an active person. But this intrigues me. 

Could I do this regimen? I don’t know. My brother is part of a beard club and every winter they do a polar plunge into a lake. They cut a portion of ice open and in they go. Now I would be tempted to try that. I think I could do it. It’s just a quick shock to the system and then you’re wrapped in a towel and whisked off for a scalding cup of coffee. 

Cold showers?? I don’t know about that. After all it isn’t a quick deal is it? I have to wash my hair. And then there is the shaving issue. No I don’t think I could do that one. Perhaps a couple of quick glacial showers a week? Hmmm. I’ll have to think about that. 

Sleeping without blankets or sheets? Ohh that’s a blog in itself! That has been a continuous battle of our marriage. My husband is always cold. He piles blankets on top of himself. I don’t mind a blanket and comforter, but the fan better be pointed on me. And believe me, there is a fine line I cannot cross with the direction of the blowing air. It’s a tense situation every night. But we are doing fine after 25+ years.

Even when I have night sweats, yes I just dated myself, still I need a sheet over myself. It makes me feel secure to be covered up. So no I don’t see that working for me. 

The walking outside shirtless we’ve already covered. (I just made a funny!) Here in Indiana, we have had three brutal winters. I’m not a fan of winter. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings to never see a flake of snow ever again. I especially get weary of putting on coats, boots, trying to find gloves and ear muffs. Do without all these? Go outside in frigid temps without a coat or hat? 

Perhaps I could do it for a few minutes a day. Go stand in the middle of the driveway with just my t-shirt and shorts. My husband would probably be okay with it, just as long as I don’t cross the fine line with the fan. But the neighbors would gaze out the window and think I’ve lost my marbles. Next day over the mailbox, they would look at me with pity and ask those probing questions. No I wouldn’t want to make them feel uncomfortable. 

That leaves keeping the house in the 50’s. I’ve already talked about the issue with the fan right? If I suggested turning the heat down, my fan privileges could be in jeopardy.  I wouldn’t mind sitting around in a sweater and maybe a blanket, I do this anyway in the winter, but my husband is a firm shorts and t-shirts guy. Rarely have I ever seen him in sweatpants.  I foresee trouble in the kingdom here. 

So there you have it. This just would not work for me. I’ll continue on with my normal lifestyle and hope for the best, thank you. If you feel so inclined, I wish you luck. Just don’t tell anyone where you got the info. I’m not going to be the bad influence here! 

Have a good weekend. I hope you all are staying cool in the August heat! 



Link your blog to:Thoughtful Thursdays
Looking up
Beloved Brews
Shine
I choose joy
Grace and Truth
Weekend Brew
Still Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment