Thursday, September 4, 2014

Don't get ugly!



I’ve developed a personal rule to allow myself to complain or whine one time. Just once I’ll indulge myself. 

I’ve been around people, and I’m sure you have too, that indulge a little too much, if you know what I mean. I don’t want people hiding from me when they see me coming. So I’ve chose to do this. 

Because it’s slowly occurred to me that I can spread seeds of negativity pretty easily. Notice that I say slowly. It’s hard to learn this, because we all are rather selfish if you want to be honest about it. At least I am learning right? Better to be growing and maturing in my spiritual walk, then to still be a miserable old cow, (yes I said it!) when I’m in my 80’s. 

And I say easy, because it is so much easier to focus on yourself and indulge in self pity. It’s remarkably easy to spread poison around. 

Again, it comes down to a choice. It always seems to don’t it? I can choose to go around and whine, gripe, and rage to whoever will listen about what a victim I am, how mistreated I am. Or  I can stand up and be the woman of grace that I truly am. Because I’ve been given Grace. I am remarkably blessed. 

Instead of seeing the weeds in the garden of life, I want to see the beautiful flowers. I want to plant the flowers. 
If you want butterflies, you must plant flowers.  If you are focused on garbage, you get flies. 

As I’ve studied the life of Joseph, it became glaringly true that he didn’t allow the ugliness to diminish his integrity. He left such an impression on those around him by his character and diligence. 

Think about it; here’s the favorite son, who’s been doted on, now a slave. He’s doing menial work. The Bible says clearly that Potiphar was so impressed with Joseph that he entrusted his whole household to him. 

Then Potiphar’s floozie wife slanders him and gets him thrown into prison. 

But in the prison, Joseph still shined. It says that the warden eventually put Joseph in charge of those imprisoned. He entrusted him with everything. 

When a person has been mistreated, and reduced to such a lowly position, the temptation is strong to not give a care. Why even try? Just do enough to slide by. Who’s going to care anyway? What difference does it make if I don’t give an effort.

Joseph didn’t do that. He did more than just work hard, he proved to be trustworthy. I don’t think it would be a stretch to say that he was a joy to be around. 

And it’s obvious he didn’t bend everybody’s ear to spread negative poison around either. Although who could blame him if he did? 

Very sobering stuff I know right? You can understand now why he has been such an inspiration to me. 

As I was pondering on these things, and writing this blog, I thought of the passage in Romans 7.

verse 24 “I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question? 25 The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different.” The Message

The pull of self is very strong as you know. But thank God, It doesn’t have me in a stranglehold. I’m not helpless in its pull. I need Him so badly. He’s the Vine to my branch. 

Because of Him, I don't have to be ugly, just because life is ugly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment