Wednesday, August 27, 2014

He has not forgotten


As the Cupbearer left the prison, he gave a thumbs up. “It won’t be long now. You’ll be out soon!” For the first time in a long time, Joseph’s hopes were surging. 

This was surely a “God” thing right? He sent this erstwhile cupbearer across his path in the prison. The cupbearer had a dream, and God gave Joseph the meaning. The cupbearer would be freed and retain his position. 

It happened just as God said. He urged the cupbearer to plead his case before Pharaoh. “Remember me and show me kindness. Mention me to Pharaoh and get me out of this prison. I was forcibly carried off from the land of the Hebrews, and even here I have done nothing to deserve being put in a dungeon.”

Every morning he work up with anticipation. Would this be the day? He expected any day now to walk out of here. 

But days and weeks pass and nothing happens. A sad commentary is Genesis 40:23; “The Chief Cupbearer, however did not remember Joseph, he forgot him.” 
One disappointment is bad enough, but when you get hit numerous times it can take a toll. It can become a mindset. You get used to being let down, the second option, forgotten about, ignored. 

You learn new habits: keep your expectations low, close yourself in, tuck in another hurt. After all, you have to protect yourself from another hurt. 

And it’s just a short step from disappointment with people to disappointment with God. I prayed passionately since January for God to move in my favor. That He would change people’s hearts toward me. 

Do you think Joseph prayed passionately in the prison? “Please God, make the Cupbearer remember me. Get me out of here. Move on my behalf.” 

Yes, God did use the Cupbearer, and yes, He did answer Joseph’s prayers. Just not in the way Joseph imagined. It was “beyond what we can ask for or imagine” wasn’t it? 

In my opinion, disappointment has to be a favorite weapon of the enemy. Perhaps there are those who are indifferent; they can just brush it off. 

But I’m sure they are in the minority. And believe me, I’m not one of them. 

The truth of the matter is, if you are walking around on this earth, eventually you will face disappointment. It is inevitable. 

So where does our security lie? 

The chief cupbearer however did not remember Joseph, he forgot him.” This verse has been an anchor for me to hold onto throughout the last six months.

Yes, people can forget. People can be fickle. Was the Cupbearer purposely out to get Joseph? No I’m sure he wasn’t. He forgot. 

I forget. I let people down. Do you? 

You may feel completely forgotten, that even God has forgotten. But this is not so. 

He does not treat you as the world does. He alone is your resting place. Your security. 

Psalm 27:10 says, “ Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me”  Isaiah 49:16, “See I have engraved you on the palms of My hands; your walls are ever before me.” 

Tomorrow is unknown to us. But we can walk in confidence and authority
because God is in our tomorrows. He is already there and will be sufficient 
for us. 

He will answer in a way not imagined or even asked for. Trust Him in this 
and see if He won’t prove true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment