Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Constant and Able




In the next few weeks we will be inundated with commercials promoting diet plans and exercise equipment. Social media will tout resolution ideas for the new year. After all, we have indulged ourselves with plenty of sweets and tasty meals since Thanksgiving. I’ll be the first to raise my hand and admit it. I’m a little hesitate to step on the scale this week. I may just skip it altogether. 

On a more serious note, I usually ponder on the past year. It’s been a challenging year for me. I’ve been stretched like a wineskin, pliable, expansive to hold more. A good kind of stretched. It’s not an enjoyable process. It involves a lot of pulling and personally yielding to this process. 

As I look over the past year, I can see this played out many times. I surrender and then God stretches me out.  And it simply came down to choices. Will I let this situation knock me down? Will I allow it to keep me in a pit? Will I respond selfishly with anger and resentment? 

I’m sorry to admit that I’ve not always responded correctly. I’ve caused the process to plod on longer. I’ve messed it up a few times. I’ve popped an attitude. But as I look back on this year, one word comes to mind:

Constant. 

Through the fire and the storms, my failings and weaknesses, He has been constant. Whenever I have turned to Him, He has been there. I have felt His presence near and heard His still small voice, reassuring me once again that He will see me through this. 

And so a new year lays ahead like a blank canvas. The brush is raised and the Painter smiles in eager anticipation at what He will create in me. May I be receptive and yielding to His touch. 

He is able to create something beautiful out of whatever is to come. “I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able”

I feel compelled to pronounce a new word for this new year:

Able. 

Able to do immeasurably more than we can ask or imagine. Able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. Able to help those who are being tempted. 

Able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them. Able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and great joy. 

Let us step with confidence into this new year knowing He is able. “His Divine power has given us everything we need...” 

No comments:

Post a Comment