Monday, January 19, 2015

"Blue Monday, Blessed Monday"



Today is known as Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year. The holidays are over, the bills are coming due and perhaps we are trying to get rid of a few extra pounds. Not to mention Spring is still afar off, and we are afflicted with snow and cold. 

I suppose I have much to be depressed about this morning. My Colts lost, football is over, I’m not feeling very well today and I have to go back to work. Oh, I could wallow in self-pity today. But the truth of the matter is that I’m a very blessed person. I need to live out what the scripture says:

“Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5”18 

In spite of how I feel, I have to “Count my blessings” so to speak. What is the alternative? A vivid example is in Numbers 11:4-6.

“The rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat!  We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”

We read this and say, “Wow, these people are so ugly and ungrateful.” 

Are we any different? Don’t we act the same way sometimes? We are surrounded by God’s blessings. We enjoy His hand on our lives. And yet, it isn’t enough? Rather sobering isn’t it? 

In the past year, I’ve read Ann Voscamp’s book, “One Thousand Gifts”. My ladies group did the study together. It changed my perspective. I’ve kept up a gratitude journal and it caused me to keep an eye out for His many blessings, big or small. It stimulated a thankful spirit.

Yes, it is Blue Monday, and I don’t feel particularly blissful and carefree. But it’s also another day I walk with His Mercy and Grace all around me . “This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:24

Beloved, count your blessings today and you’ll find it’s a blessed Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment