Monday, January 26, 2015

Seeds of Faith




It snowed yesterday. The rowdy wind bent the stark, bare trees. It’s howling could be heard inside my cozy house. Another month to endure before signs of Spring awaken. 

I liked winter once, when I was a kid. There was sledding, snow forts, and snow days. Now it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if I never saw a speck of snow again.

I miss my front porch, flowers, butterflies, gardening and cookouts. I’ve been dreaming more about them since I received my seed catalogs. They started arriving by the end of December. I smiled hugely when I opened the mailbox and saw the beauties. 

I order my first seeds this week. Yes, I’m one of these serious gardeners. I work on my garden plan every year. I even have a garden journal to record anything of importance that happens in my veggie or flower gardens. It is a passion to me. 

I tried growing potatoes for the first time last year. Every week I would hill up my rows and water during a dry spell. It was a thrill when the sprouts peeked through the ground. And oohh, the joy I felt when I dug into the hill and pulled out numerous potatoes. They were so yummy with the green beans I picked. 

Have you felt that joy when the seed you so lovingly planted and nurtured came to life before your eyes? 

I never cease to be amazed by the miracle of how one seed buried into the ground produces so much. Out of one little potato I harvested so many. 

 Never discount what a seed can produce. I don’t understand the science of how it all goes down. But I have faith as I plant and tend to the seed that a harvest will come. 

Jesus said this about seeds in Mark 4: 26-29: "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.  All by itself the soil produces grain--first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come."

Years ago I was praying passionately for my unsaved husband. The Lord gave me this verse to encourage me to keep planting the seeds of faith. 

It can be so disheartening when it looks like the seeds you planted aren’t coming to life. But I want to assure you that even though there seems to be no progress and you don’t understand how it can happen, God is working. 

Don’t bail out on God. Plant those seeds. Nurture the seeds, keep praying. 

He answered my prayer. The seed did come to life. My husband did give his heart to Jesus. And I believe He will do the same for you.  He always does more than we can ask or imagine! 

There will be a day when joy will expand your heart as that seed bursts to life before your eyes. You will be amazed at what God has done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment