Thursday, May 7, 2015

Rambling Thursdays



Perhaps you heard the inspirational story about the woman who requested to be buried with a fork in her hand. When she informed her Pastor of her funeral plans, naturally he was puzzled. 

She explained, "In all my years of attending church socials and potluck dinners, I always remember that when the dishes of the main courses were being cleared, someone would inevitably lean over and say, "Keep your fork." It was my favorite part because I knew that something better was coming...like velvety chocolate cake or deep-dish apple pie. Something wonderful, and with substance! So, I just want people to see me there in that casket with a fork in my hand and I want them to wonder, "What's with the fork?" Then I want you to tell them: "Keep your fork. The best is yet to come." 



I loved this story, it made me smile and warmed my heart. Especially since I love any desserts, but cake is my first love.  My husband is a pie eater. I like it, but I love cake. Cake and ice cream together are even better. 

I’m also an experienced potluck dinner connoisseur. My church does these dinners quite often. The dessert/food ratio is vital at these dinners. An even amount of both is ideal, but there are times when dessert outnumbers the food. And you know, nobody complains! I don’t know about you, but to run short on desserts would be a calamity. 

I remember as a kid when not having dessert after a meal would definitely  be a calamity. Every dinner or supper was followed by cake, pie, or cookies. And there would usually be ice cream coupled with them. And then  we washed it all down with pop! And oh, the quarrels between my brother and I over the portion of our pieces! 

I shudder now when I think of indulging in such a way now. Oh I might treat myself now and then, but generally I don’t indulge anymore. Now it’s fruit, pudding or applesauce. Hey, I have to keep up my girlish figure, okay? 

I didn’t think about such things as calories or my waistline back then. 

But I do love my cake. Did I tell you that? My husband won my heart in a big way a year ago on my birthday, when he had a chocolate cake made for me. Forget flowers! I had cake everyday of my birthday week and loved every bite! 

So if you were to tell me, “Keep your fork”, you would most definitely see me grin in anticipation. And if you brought me a piece of cake, you’d be my friend forever. 

So what favorite dessert is yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment