Monday, June 8, 2015

Got a Second?



I heard great news for those of us longing for more time. On June 30th a second will be added to make sure the atomic clocks stays in sync with the Earth’s rotational time. It’s called a leap second. Kind of like a leap year from what I gather.

This news caused me to ponder about time in our lives. We live in the grip of time. We wake up with an alarm clock, we punch in and out at work and we rush to make appointments. 

Some days seem like an eternity, (like the day before vacation.) Other days, we wonder where the time went? Then you have the Daylight savings time issue! I call it an issue because here in Indiana it is!

For years we didn’t reset our clocks in the Spring and Fall. One season we were on Eastern and on the other, we were in Central. And we were all content with that. Then our state government, God have mercy on their souls, decided we needed to change. The “Spring ahead” is a killer let me tell you. It can take weeks for my body to adjust. But I love the “Fall back”, because I gain an hour. Well....at least it feels that way okay? 

It reminds me of Hezekiah when he lay on his deathbed and pleaded in prayer to live. God answered his plea and told him fifteen years would be added to his life. And then proved it by making the shadow go backwards on the sundial. 

Nevertheless, you and I can’t change anything about time. We can’t go back and change anything. We can’t look into tomorrow and see what’s ahead. Only God who, “one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.” 

Our God transcends time. And what’s so comforting is that He’s the “Same, yesterday, today and forever.” And, My times are in Your hands”. 

I remember a really tough season years ago. My precious Grandma had died, my Mom was crippled with a brain aneurism, and I was struggling with a hurtful marriage. One day I was sitting on my bed trying to pray. Trying is the key word, as praying didn’t come easy during that time. I couldn’t get past the pain and to be honest I just didn’t want to try. 

I sat there quietly with my Bible and gazed out the window at our bird feeder. It was a rather nasty day, cold and rainy. There on the feeder was a ragamuffin sparrow snuggled closely to the feeder. I thought it was dead, but as I drew closer to the window I saw it move. 

It sat there in the wind, rain and cold, it’s feathers all fluffed up. In that moment I heard my Jesus say, “I see that sparrow. I am aware of it. And I see you. I know your hurts and pains. I’m taking care of that sparrow and I’m taking care of you.” 

The tears ran down my face. I felt His sweet presence enter the room and envelop me. I never forgot this moment He met me in my need. 

Beloved, let me remind you of what Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

Did you see that? We can’t add a single hour or even a second to our lives by worrying about it, or wringing our hands in anxiety. The God who transcends time can redeem our past, and provide Grace for what is ahead. 

Trust Him to take care of you. “From everlasting to everlasting, He is your God.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment