Thursday, December 3, 2015

Rambling Thursdays


Let me just say up front that I love football. I have since I was a kid. I’ve had many football loves through my life. Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw, Lynn Swan, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, Payton Manning and now Andrew Luck. I am an unabashed Colt’s and Notre Dame fan. So for today’s Rambling Thursday’s blog I thought I’d share a few thoughts about the 2015 season.

*I’ll get the ugly deflategate issue out of the way first. Because I am a Colt’s fan, I don’t like the Patriots. (Sorry Pats fans, hope this doesn’t mar our friendship.) But I wish my Colts hadn’t brought this up and I really don’t care to hear about a deflated ball again. Okay, now on to the good stuff. 

*I didn’t have good feelings about Payton playing this year and my gut feelings were confirmed. It pains me to watch him struggle this year. He’s a shell of his former greatness. I hope he can retire with his head held high. It’s been such a pleasure to hear “Omaha” at the line and watch him conducting his offensive people with his hand signals. When he leaves, the NFL won’t be the same.  

*What’s with all the injuries this year? Players are dropping like flies weekly. I don’t play fantasy football, but one of my friends does and it has certainly messed with her fantasy team. My Colts haven’t been exempt. Andrew Luck has been beat up. Thankfully we have Matt Hasselback. This brings me to my next thought.

*Matt Hasselback is quite the dude. He literally rose off a hospital bed on a short week to lead the Colts to a Thursday night victory. They were pumping I.V.’s in him before the game after he was deathly sick for a couple of days. Imagine facing angry giant men wanting to tear your arms off after that! But wow, he literally has saved the Colt’s season. The man is forty years old and he looks like he’s having fun out there with all the young guys. 

*Who would have thought? Ravens only with three wins? Bengals only two losses? Panthers undefeated? Cardinals leading the division with Seahawks in second place? Vikings in first place, Green Bay slipping? It has been a topsy turvy kind of season. I hate to say this, I really do....but the Pats will probably win the Super Bowl again even with all their injuries. 

*What do you think of the color crush uniforms on Thursday nights? I think they are pretty cool, although they have messed with color blind people. I  like the retro uniforms too, except the Steelers look like bumblebees in theirs. Just saying. 



*Lets talk College. I didn’t have high hopes for my Irish. And boy it didn’t start out well. Starting quarterback out for the year. Starting running back out. Season over right? Nope, it was next man up and boy did they ever step up. They have played so well and so gutty. Notre Dame has lost seven starters this year and they just keep plugging along. They were on the verge of going to the playoffs until they lost to Stanford. My heart was broken. I’ll still get to watch them one last time this year at a major bowl. 

Hard to believe we only have a couple of months left of football. Where did it go? I’ve enjoyed watching it this year and look forward to the intensity of the upcoming playoffs. For now enjoy this vintage Jim Mora video about his thoughts on the playoffs. Go Colts and Irish! 




No comments:

Post a Comment