Monday, June 20, 2016

Divine Connections


Two needy people, two complete strangers meet at the city gates. Each has something for the other. It was a Divine connection. 

God blessed and fed both of them, through their faith, what they had to give. Elijah had been camped by the brook Cherith, “set apart”, fed by ravens sent by Almighty God. He was hidden from the wicked King Ahab and his equally evil Queen, Jezebel. 

Now the brook dries up and God sends him far to the north to someone he has never met. Someone just as needy.

She has no name recorded. Just the widow of Zarephath. Her food supply  dwindled to one last meal. The famine has taken its toll. She goes to gather sticks to cook this last dinner for her and her son. But God sets up this meeting with Elijah. And her life will never be the same. By faith, she had to  cook this last meal for Elijah. 

The flour and oil never ran out. They ate everyday. God brought these two needy people together. 

I’ve had many “Divine connections” in my life. Complete strangers before, that end up blessing me and changing my life. 

One such connection happened last year. Last September my neighbor came across the street and asked if I’d like to come to a Bible study. I hesitated a bit, but I said yes. This women’s Bible study met every Thursday and they were all from another church I didn’t attend. 

It was a bit out of my comfort zone to be honest. I didn’t know anyone. But they were so welcoming and gracious. I felt right at home with them. 

I walked in a complete stranger. Now almost a year later, I’ve grown to love these women. They have blessed me so much. I needed them, and hopefully I had something to give to them. 

We studied the Word together, allowed ourselves to be vulnerable, shed some tears, and laughed our heads off. We even rented a house and spent a couple of days together. 

He clearly brought us together. This has been repeated many times through my life. I never cease to be amazed at how He does this. I think about the women God has brought across my path. About how they blessed me, how I grew and changed. 

But you know, these relationships took a step of faith. I had to reach out of my safe bubble. And that’s not always easy for me to do. I need to feel safe. But honestly how many relationships feel “safe”? 

We all have our “issues”, but we all are needy people. You have something to give to me. And vice versa....I have something to give to you. 

Can we lay aside our agendas, judgements, comparisons, and insecurities?  So we can bless and serve each other? 


I want to encourage you today to take that step of faith. Reach outside yourself to that person God has placed across your path. It may be a Divine connection. 

Link your blog to: Testimony Tuesdays
Thoughtful Thursdays
Grace and Truth


No comments:

Post a Comment