Thursday, August 27, 2015

Rambling Thursdays



“The crickets sang in the grasses. They sang the song of summer's ending, a sad, monotonous song. "Summer is over and gone," they sang. "Over and gone, over and gone. Summer is dying, dying."

The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last forever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year—the days when summer is changing into fall—the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change.”  from Charlotte's Web

Summer is coming to an end and I’m sad to see it go, but there is a tinge of anticipation for fall and all its beauty and unique delights. In the depths of dreary winter I often ponder and remember experiences from summer. This is what I will remember: 

*Coloring books are all the rage this summer and I caved in and bought one for myself. I LOVE IT! It’s relaxing to sit on my front porch and color. I feel like a kid again.           

*Speaking of my front porch...I can’t begin to tell you how much I love sitting on my rocking chair. I have a wrap around porch and it’s like another room in the summer. I spend afternoons reading, coloring, gazing at my flowers, watching the butterflies, listening to the birds and playing with Copper, my dog. On the weekends my husband and I drink our coffee there. 



*The mosquitos have hampered our outside porch sitting. The hungry pests have been bad this summer, mostly through July. I’ve been bit more this summer than I have in a long time.

 *I’ve ate more fresh picked fruit and vegetables this summer. The fruit harvest has been so productive. The garden has done well too. As a result, I’ve canned and put up blueberries, green beans, peaches and tomatos. There is nothing to be compared to the taste of fresh food. I repeat NOTHING. 

*There is nothing like an ice cream cone either. I’ve ate more than my share this summer. There has been two new ice cream stands that have opened up within fifteen minutes of my house. Of course we have hit them both. It’s worth a summer’s evening drive next to my man cruising  the countryside, the dog’s happy face out the window admiring the view. 

*The highlight of my summer was the beautiful views we gazed upon in the Southwest. I’ll be remembering our trip all through the winter. It truly was epic. It was so fun to experience new adventures. 

*Our last two days of vacation we spent with our Son in Western Nebraska. It was good to be with him. I’m proud of him and thankful he is able to pursue his dream job. And wow, I had no idea Nebraska was so pretty. The prairie and buttes are uniquely beautiful. And the people there are so friendly. I’m going back out to see him in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to it. 



*The special day my Daughter-in-law and I went to Michigan and picked berries. We had so much fun that day. We went to Lake Michigan, which is like our ocean, went to a lighthouse, walked on the beach and ate some great food. I don’t get to see her much because of distance, so I’m  glad we took advantage of my day off. We truly seized the moment. 



*My flowers have put on a beautiful display. It does my heart good to go outside every day and play in my flowers. This is the first summer in a while that I didn’t do a lot of work in my gardens. I just enjoyed them. Now they are dying and ready to go to sleep for the winter. Next January I’ll be poring over my seed catalogs and dreaming of flowers again. 



I hope you have had a good summer. I hope you seized every moment; ate lots of ice cream, enjoyed family and friends, had a smore or hot dog over a camp fire, spent a lazy day on a porch, smelled the flowers, ate a fuzzy peach, caught a fish, hiked a forest trail, gazed at the stars. 

Do you have any experiences to share with me? Have a good weekend my friend. 


Link your blog to: Thoughtful Thursdays
Shine
Theocentric Thursdays
Grace and Truth
Still Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment