Saturday, June 29, 2019

Rotting Flesh



"What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of sin?" Romans 7:24

This corrupting carcass chained to me is slowly saturating my soul till it dominates and eventually kills me. 

I cannot save myself from it. I am a wretched person. 

Such is the fate of condemned murderers in Roman society. The murdered victim is chained to the back of the murderer. The rotting flesh eventually overwhelms the person carrying it around. Even infecting them. A rather gruesome picture isn't it?

This body of sin was chained to me. My Jesus unchained me and set me free from this rotting, corrupting carcass. "Therefore there is no more condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!"

Yet what if I walked around like I was still chained? Still cowered under the imaginary weight? Influenced and enslaved to this dead body even though it exists no more?

What kind of life is this?

Initially I was saved by faith by Christ's work on the cross. Declared righteous before God. I already have His favor. I stand securely in His grace.

So does God do a bait and switch on me now? Now after the initial salvation, do I have to earn His favor? Do I grow in faith by rule keeping? 

Is this how you want me to live? Constant struggles, wrestlings and strivings of the flesh? "My yoke is easy and my burden light." Matthew 11:28-30

I am no longer enslaved to the body of sin, the flesh. Yet, there is a war between my spirit and flesh. It will continue till I die. 

Nevertheless, I have a new nature. I have God's spirit residing within. His power at work in my life. 

Through Him I.....
have life, I know the truth
I am justified
I am more than a conqueror
I have access to the Father
I have strength
I am reconciled to God perfectly
the powers and authorities are disarmed, completely defeated!
I offer sacrifices of praise to the One I adore. 




No comments:

Post a Comment