Monday, October 27, 2014

Follow my example




I read a rather bold and nervy statement today. From a well known Christian leader. This person said, “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.” Quite a statement huh? 

After all it’s not possible is it? Keep your eyes on Jesus, not me. Don’t watch other people, keep your eyes on Jesus. I’ve heard it many times. Hey, I even said it! 

But we can’t dismiss the above statement. Because the Apostle Paul said it in 1 Corinthians 11:1. Yes, it’s in the Bible.

I don’t know about you, but this statement kind of scares me. Can I truly tell someone this? I’ve got to be honest, I don’t know. I really don’t have my act together. I fail at times. The twisted sister inside sometimes rears her ugly head. 

But maybe that’s the problem. As long as I keep my eyes on myself, there’s going to be trouble. I’ll be stumbling around in my self conscious misery, of no affect to others. 

But if my eyes are on Jesus, if my focus is on him, then the perspective is entirely different. 

You’ve perhaps heard the saying, “You are the company you keep?” Spend ample time with Jesus and I’ll guarantee you that people will be seeing His powerful influence in your life and actions. 
So, yes, we can tell others, “follow my example as I follow Christ.” It is possible. And truth be told we are an example regardless. 

Yea, maybe people are supposed to look at Jesus not us. But they do watch us. 

Charles Barkley, the former NBA Basketball player once said that he’s not a role model or an example, he’s paid to be a basketball player. I love what fellow player Karl Malone remarked, "Charles...I don't think it's your decision to make. We don't choose to be role models, we are chosen. Our only choice is whether to be a good role model or a bad one."

So as Christian leaders in our churches, ministries, jobs, or families, we can’t just opt out of it. “Hey don’t look at me, look at Jesus.” It sounds like a cop out when you look at from this perspective doesn’t it? 

Don’t give into the lie that your life has no impact. Believe me it does! The choices you make, your attitude, and the company you keep, i.e. Jesus, impact those around you more than you’ll ever know. 

As you follow Jesus, people watch. As you love and worship Jesus with your life, even through the tough times, your life radiates hope. 

Be a Jesus follower, and nurture other Jesus followers. 
His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment